Last week I decided to make a skirt from a pattern I’d spotted on Pinterest ages ago. I made it last Friday. The night before I drew out the pattern pieces I needed and cut out the fabric ready for the next day. The pattern is for a summery skirt on sewinglikemad.com which has the basic formula for the skirt and you kind of work out for yourself how it goes together. It has a useful link for making the waistband, which is much better than a plain elasticated waist. I also found a video tutorial to help me put the pockets together. I can’t remember if I’ve ever done pockets before.
This is pinning the pocket facings onto the front of the skirt. It was very easy to do and quite good fun. A step up from my normal sewing level, which isn’t usually adventurous.
Once I had sewn and pressed the facings, I added the main pocket piece to each side.
What I should have done next was gather the whole piece across the top. However, I had already gathered the front main piece of skirt before I’d attached the pockets. I should have waited until this stage. I had to do a teeny extra bit of gathering at the pockets to make it the same size as the waist band, ready to sew them together.
This is it all stitched together. It didn’t take very long to get to this stage at all.It was definitely helpful to follow the link in the patten to make the waistband. I was so impatient, to get it finished I kept to my usual of 1inch elastic rather than three lots of thinner stuff. However, next time I will be up for making the smaller casings as it creates a really nice finish to the waistband.
Not a particularly good picture but it is good enough to demonstrate what it looks like on. I’m enormously pleased with my new skirt!! My favourite bit is the pockets. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be adding pockets to everything now.