It has taken an age but I finally found time to record a new crochet tutorial! Hurray! Thank you for being so patient with me. Video tutorials take a lot of time to put together so it’s very easy to drop it lower on the list when something else pops up. Please click on the picture above to go to the tutorial or HERE to my YouTube channel. Don’t forget my Free Patterns page too, that’s HERE
Materials & Notes to make your Crochet Cowl
- One colour: 2x 100g (135m) balls of chunky yarn. I used Stylecraft Alpaca Tweed.
- Stripey version: 3x 100g (135m) balls of chunky yarn.
- 8mm hook.
- Written in UK terms (converting is dead easy, a UK tr is a US dc, that’s it!).
- 3ch counts as a stitch (st/s).
- I have a loose tension, go up a hook size if you don’t!
- Scroll down for a “chart” showing colour changes and a it more info.
Crochet Cowl Pattern
Row 1: 1tr in 4th ch from hook, miss 2 sts, *3tr, miss 2 sts; rep from * to the last st, 2tr in last st, turn.
Row 2: 3ch, 3tr in each sp along to end, 1tr in last st, turn.
Row 3: 3ch, 1tr in same st, 3tr in each space along to end, finishing with 2tr in last st, turn.
Row 4 – 24: Rep Rows 2&3 ten times and Row 2 once more.
Row 25 (increase row): 3ch, 2tr in same sp, cont as Row 2 to end.
Row 26: Rep Row 3.
Row 27: Rep Row 2.
Row 28 (increase row): Begin as Row 3, end with 3tr in last st, turn.
Row 29: Rep Row 2.
Row 30: Rep Row 3.
Row 31 – 45: Alternately rep Rows 25- 27 and Rows 28 – 30.
Row 46 (edging): 3ch, 3tr in each sp along, (3tr, 2ch, 3tr) in corner sp, 3tr in each sp to end. Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing.
Sew the short piece to the other end of the straight side (see chart below). Add tassels if desired! Voila, one seriously speedy granny cowl. Because you’re using chunky yarn with as big hook, you can crochet this in next to no time at all.